Rules for snowmobilers
- Snowmobiles may only be driven on designated snowmobile trails and over frozen lakes and rivers.
- Local residents, authorities, and those who have received special permits from Metsähallitus (the national body for the administration of forests) may divert from designated snowmobile trails.
- Those who drive on designated snowmobile trails do so at their own risk.
- You must take responsibility for finding out what kind of permit you need for the area you wish to snowmobile in.
- You must keep your permit with you at all times while driving a snowmobile, and it must be shown on request to any authorities (including the police, border guards, customs officials, or Metsähallitus).
- Driving outside of the designated snowmobile trails is not permitted and will result in your permit being revoked.
- You must be at least 15 to drive a snowmobile.
- On official trails and when crossing highways, the driver must have a valid driving license (Finnish category T as a minimum).
- The speed limit is 80km/h (50mph) on iced-over areas, 60km/h (37mph) on snowmobile trails and tracks, and 40km/h (25mph) if the snowmobile is pulling passengers in a sleigh.
- The driver of the snowmobile as well as any passengers are required to wear a helmet. This also applies to passengers travelling in a sleigh.
- Driving a snowmobile under the influence of alcohol is illegal. The drink drive limit in Finland is 50mg per 100ml of blood.
- Driving on designated skiing trails is not permitted.
- Many skiers use the area, including the snowmobile trails. Reduce your speed on approaching skiers.
- Only those travelling on foot/skis may stay overnight in a wilderness hut.
- PLEASE NOTE: if you are driving to the Artic Trail in Norway, you must inform the Kilpisjärvi customs office.
- You cannot drive a snowmobile in the built-up area of Kilpisjärvi after 10pm.
- Driving a snowmobile in the Malla nature reserve is not permitted.
- Making fires in the Malla nature reserve is not permitted.
- Protect the environment and take your rubbish with you.
KILPISJARVEN LUONTOKESKUS (Kilpisjärvi Nature Center)
Tel. (+358) (0)206397990